Friday 24 September 2010

Love, a Joy Forever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

A reader, ‘Ron’, has contacted me to say he enjoys my general blog and took up my invitation in yesterday’s post to take a look at my gay-interest blog. ‘…and what do I find,’ he complains, ‘but 'Icon' which has to be about as gay rubbish a poem as you can get.’ Well, maybe Ron… but haven’t you ever eyed up a pretty woman in much the same way? The principle is the same, and where’s the harm? It is, after all, true what they say. A thing of beauty is a joy forever, and a beautiful man or woman is likely to leave a lasting impression on mind, body, and spirit....whether Memory chooses to acknowledge it or not.

Meanwhile…

This poem has been slightly revised from the original as it appears in my collection and on the blog (July 2009). It has been requested by ‘Caroline for my partner Megan’ and also by ‘Cliff for my partner Des.’ Another request comes from ‘Granny K’ for her granddaughter, Louise who will be celebrating a civil partnership with Simone on Simone’s birthday coming up soon. [How wonderful to hear from someone of the older heterosexual generation who can be genuinely happy for a gay couple!]  Here's a BIG hug for you and all my readers.

(Photos taken from the Internet)

Now, for sure, true love (gay or straight) truly is a thing if beauty to be cherished, and where duly nurtured, a joy forever ...

LOVE, A JOY FOREVER

When I am with you,
the world seems a better place
by far as I frame your face
in tender hands (no need now
to catch a falling star)
and all my wishes come true;
my life with you is blessed;
I knew it that time we kissed
after a mad dash
in pouring rain, and missed
the last bus home, shared a cab,
found each other

My dream is yours, the future.
ours to savour, like
a subtle flavouring of herbs
in the plainest fare;
no greater thrill than our arms
homing in on each other
upon each other, a warmth
like dove’s down
filling us, twin lips like petals
waking to a glorious
dawn, whispering us love stories
hearts beating as one

Copyright R. N. Taber 2002; 2010

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears  in  First Person Plural by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2002.]

No comments: