Thursday 23 February 2012

Men Shopping

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

[Update, August 22nd 2020]: A further, revised version of the poem below appears on the blog for August 2020. I have only changed the content slightly, but the form in which it I have opted to present it is altogether different. You may like to compare and (hopefully) approve my changes. While I never publish comments, readers can send an email any time to rogertab@aol.com [UK] with 'Poetry' in the subject field; any spam or trolling is always ignored and instantly deleted.

Today’s story-poem first appeared on the blog in 2010; it was inspired (like many of my poems) by a tale related by a couple with whom I got chatting quite by chance in a pub once, and never saw again. although I'd often head for the same bar after a particularly frustrating day at work.

So, no, it isn’t autobiographical, but I chose to write it in the first person not only for a sense of immediacy but also because - like many readers, if feedback is anything to go by - I could easily relate to the events described, if not (quite) the same happy ending.

Who says shopping is boring?

MEN SHOPPING 

He was reaching for coffee
on a supermarket shelf;
the graceful swing of his body
cut me to the quick;
one eye refused to blink, kept
at the task in hand;
trying hard not to think about
his finger nudging mine;
a tenuous grasp on the jar,
began to slip;
my hand was left no choice,
obliged to help;
he thanked me with a grin,
I smiled back;
when he started to move on,
I panicked;
“So you like decaf?” I blurted
to a shirt button;
a hint of hairy chest heaved,
breath slow and warm;
“I do indeed,” he grinned again,
made my cheeks burn...
and I came up with something
even more banal;
we chatted away the whole
length of the aisle;
finally, at preserves, a parting
of the ways;
finished off the shopping
in a heady daze;
outside, he was unloading into
an old banger;
he waved, had me blushing
from ear to ear;
the same grin, infuriating me
this time;
lips parted, tip of a pink tongue
teasing my prime;
my mouth went dry. I barely
recall that lift home

Years on, though, I still thrill
to waking up next to him

Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; 2017

[Note: Slightly revised from the original poem as it appears in The Third Eye by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2004 ]

No comments: