Saturday 14 July 2012

Finding Out About Coffee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Many thanks to a reader in Canada who has been in touch to say she enjoyed Predisposed To Murder as serialised on my fiction blog:

http://rogertaberfiction.blogspot.com. [It is irritating that sometimes the font keeps changing. I have asked Google for the reason, but have heard nothing back and they have done nothing about it. Please, also, bear with any typos etc as I have no one to proof my books and it is not easy having to do it oneself; the writer is too close to it and inclined to read how it should read rather than how it does.]

Now, positive feedback is always welcome although I have to say that any constructive feedback is very helpful whether in praise of something I have written or otherwise.

So...

Many thanks to readers who have been in touch to say they enjoy the videos on my You Tube. Everyone has understandably commented on how the inevitable background noise that comes with filming outdoors obscures my reading of a poem. Sorry about that, folks, but I only have a cheap camcorder. My close friend (and cameraman) Graham and I thought filming ‘on location’ would be more interesting for viewers than just having me read a poem sitting indoors or in the garden.  Since our early efforts, I have acquired a digital Dictaphone and am mow able to record over videos.  I won’t disappear from the camera altogether, but this is likely to be the way of things in future.  In the meantime, we are not trying to impress the BBC (or anyone else) so we hope you will enjoy our efforts without taking us too seriously:


Readers keep asking for a CD recording of my informal poetry reading on the 4th plinth in London’s Trafalgar square back in 2009 that includes poems on a gay theme among others. Unfortunately, Sky Arts would not play ball on that one so I’m afraid you will just have to make a note of the link:

http://www.webarchive.org.uk/wayback/archive/20100223121732/oneandother.co.uk/participants/Roger_T [Sorry, this link does not always work now but I am looking into it.] RT Nov 2016

Some readers have also asked whether or not I have a Facebook account. Sorry, no. I have too many reservations about Facebook, especially since being victim of ID fraud some time ago for which I suspect my details on Facebook were responsible.

Meanwhile...

The school holidays will soon be here and many colleges and universities have already gone down for the summer vacation. I dare say many young gay men and women will be finding out about coffee (of the proverbial kind...) as I did so many, many, years ago.

FINDING OUT ABOUT COFFEE

When I first realized I am gay
I hadn’t a clue what to do or say,
even where to start satisfying
this gnawing hunger in my heart

If telling family and friends
was hard enough, then I thought
the worst part must be over
(hadn’t I finally blown my cover?)

But after being attracted to men
for about as long as I could recall,
it was time to consider seriously
how they may be attracted to me

I went on the Gay Scene but felt
out of place, very uncomfortable
with chat-ups and conversation
about likes, size, and group action

Self-esteem hitting rock bottom,
I went to a straight bar, met a guy
from school (a real good-looker)
and we played a game of snooker

I won the game, a flagging faith
in myself restored, feeling relaxed
and confident enough to agree
to go back to his place for a coffee

Feeling brave, I told him I’m gay
(the expression on his face said it all);
everything we’d left unsaid
led us safely, sensually, to his bed

He was very patient, taught me
how to enjoy making love as I do now,
letting sex come into its own,
mutual rapport expressed in passion

Copyright R. N. Taber 2008

PS  Be sure to have fun, and play safe...

Wishing you love and peace always,

Roger x

No comments: