Saturday 7 July 2012

Being Gay, Being Straight OR Diversity, Seeds in Common Ground

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Some readers may be interested to know that I posted a video and poems about the July 7th terrorist attacks on London in 2005 on my You Tube channel yesterday.  Not everyone can access You Tube for various reasons so I will be posting both poems and video on my general blog today:


Meanwhile...

A gay acquaintance once expressed genuine shock-horror when I happened to say I have as many straight as gay friends, and promptly accused me of ‘letting the side down.’

Bollocks! 

Our sexuality may be an integral part of our identity but should not be mistaken for the whole. How can I ask people to accept me for who I am without any preconceived ideas relating to my sexuality ...if I am not prepared to do the same? 

Oh, the heterosexual majority may boast its share of the homophobic  (yes, even in the 21st century!) but for every rotten apple on a tree there are always plenty more for us to enjoy ...except for those who hate apples, of course. As a close friend once commented, "There's nothing like being straight about being gay to provoke a response ... one way or another."

BEING GAY, BEING STRAIGHT or D-I-V-E-R-S-I-T-Y, SEEDS IN COMMON GROUND

When I told a straight mate I’m gay,
he shrugged and walked away;
I watched him go, heart sinking, thinking
maybe better I’d said nothing;
yet it felt so good for having found a way
(the words weren’t easy to say);
a sense of breaking free left me on a high
but we were mates and I’d lived a lie;
I could scarcely imagine his hurt, his anger
at discovering I was a stranger,
wished I’d told him years ago. I’d tried...

Kept losing my nerve and lied.

Being straight with folks was easy after that
but I missed seeing my old mate;
weeks later, we met by chance at a local bar
ignored each other for over an hour
before he came over, slammed down a mug
and lifted me up in a bear hug;
sometimes he’ll even crack gay jokes when
in company or on our own…
because he feels so comfortable with me
(isn’t that how it should be?)
laughs at my jokes about ‘straights’ (fair’s fair);
we can ‘bat for the other side’ and still care

Isn’t that what mates are for?

Copyright R. N. Taber 2007; 2010

[Note: This poem had been slightly revised from the original posted on the blog in 2009 and in Accomplices To Illusion by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2007.]


  

No comments: