Monday 2 July 2012

Queer as Folk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

There was a time when bullies scared me. Thankfully, I discovered that most bullies, especially the homophobic ones, are even  more scared of themselves than I was...

When I was a young man, 'queer' was a term of abuse that the bigots among us would throw at gay men. While I remain uncomfortable with the word, it is good to see how it has been reclaimed by the gay community and reinvented itself for the better.

The poem tells a true story.

QUEER AS FOLK

He was a bully
and I was the coward
too scared to ever
stand up to him though 
he’d call me names,
say all queers should be
shot for the social
vermin they are, to hell
with equality

He led a local gang
that drained every nasty
word he said, awful
things he did, like booze
to an alkie...
He was their god
in whose mind’s sewers
they would freely dive,
invariably come up smelling
of show roses

One day, I turned
a bend, saw him coming
my way on his own,
dived into an alley
and just kept running...
It was a dead end!
He had me cornered,
no point yelling for cavalry
or expecting mercy

He was less sure
of himself on his own,
brow (rid of horns)
starting to sweat,
no one egging him on;
I’ll never know why
but I hit out with my fist,
missed, froze, was aghast, 
fearing the worst

He lunged at me
and we fell to the ground,
his breath on my face
challenging my lips
to let rip with a sound;
I lay still, eyes shut,
way past caring, passively
waiting for the beating
I’d long been expecting
to start...

No blows rained
where I lay in naked terror,
only a kiss on my mouth,
more reassuring even
than a hot shower;
my eyes flew open
and a face homing nervously
in on mine belonged
to someone else, far more
scared than me

Did I have a choice?
No, I struggled to reason,
pinioned to the ground
and dare not resist
this mad, appalling passion;
how could it be true,
these bodies, this rhythm ours,
a growing sureness
and frantic heat, ramming
heaven’s towers?

Spent, we lay,
unable to find a single word
to explain, knowing
anyone might
come by, but no one did;
once on our feet,
he blurted out an apology,
exposing how scared
we’d both been of a restless,
dormant sexuality

He kept his word
and I never knew what lies
he told his cronies, only
that love and hate
went their separate ways;
we never understood
how we felt about each other,
nor were we ever friends,
me and the bully who became
my closet lover
  
[From: On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010]



No comments: