Friday 13 July 2012

In the Swim, Whatever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber
We are each and every one of us in the swim of life; some are strong swimmers while the rest of us can barely keep our heads above water.

Whoever and wherever, we can but strive towards a shore that is sometimes distant, sometimes agonisingly close but always inspiring shoreline where dreams and best intentions beg our attention.

Life is a fast flowing river of good times and bad for everyone, although I suspect most if not all we LGBT folks endure more than our fair share of the latter. We can but swim  on and hope to arrive at some fair shore that will welcome us, and there are many.

I well recall once telling my mother she had a wonderful sense of humour to which she replied, with a wry smile, how we'd all be much the poorer without one. (A wise woman, my mother, dead some 40 years now but always in my head and heart.)

IN THE SWIM, WHATEVER

I grow old and, yes, the bottoms
of my trousers are rolled,
treading water in a vast sea, afraid
to swim, let a heat mist
swallow me up, let roaring shores
disappear since no respite there
for a troubled mind, but crowds
oblivious to my missing you,
Apollo’s kisses on me like darts
inflicting the bloody poetry
of pain, though waves wash it clean
so no one sees, no one reads
but upon whom it outs and feeds

I grow old and, yes, the bottoms
of my trousers are rolled
as I soak up the last of summer days
inclined to follow autumn’s ways
even as Apollo’s heat on me assumes
the contours of your body
against my bare skin and we are joined
as once we were, promising
to stay together forever, not knowing
life had other plans for us,
consumed by a summer’s history,
left to but blindly drift
the teasing shores of eternity

A sudden thrust of time and tide
demands an instant decision
(swim or drown?) Panic seizes me
in passion’s grip, my body
thrashing wildly like a lover in the heat
of an incredible lovemaking,
caught out confessing and climaxing
a bloody poetry of pain
no waves need wash clean, spoils
of ecstasy for all to see,
lovers finding rhythm enough to swim
the waters of eternity,
no matter who, or our sexuality

Swimming strongly now for the shore,
drawn by sounds of love and laughter

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010; 2017

[Note: This poem first appeared in On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010; rev. ed. in e-format in preparation.]



No comments: