Monday 8 July 2013

The Zen of Self-Confidence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Family and friends don’t always understand that sexual identity is something we are born with; the only choice involved is whether we go with it or resist. Sadly, events beyond our control sometimes force that choice upon us before we are ready to make it; this can put intolerable pressure on any gay person. 

I did not do well at school and a teacher told me that I would never make anything of myself until I developed more self-confidence. "How do I do that, I asked?" "Start believing in yourself, for a start, Taber, and take no notice of those inclined to put you down because you are not as good at some things as they are. No one is good at everything, but we are all good at something. Focus on what you're good at, and the rest will come naturally." Well, it took a few years, but I got there in the end, and finally understood, too, that my being gay is an intrinsic part of who I am and no one but no one was going to put me down for it.

Wherever possible, it is always better (surely?) to take charge of our own life...or take it back, as the case may be....rather than let anyone else think they know what is best for us, however well-meaning they may be.

Did I say it was always going to be easy...?

THE ZEN OF SELF-CONFIDENCE 

Family and friends warned me against you,
said you were not a nice person to know,
that I was asking for trouble (it was so true)
and should keep my distance

After you called and we’d agreed to meet,
I confess I had reservations, but once
on your street and saw you (I arrived late)
these paled into insignificance

We talked as we walked slowly by a stream,
till consumed by the veils of a willow tree
where you took my hand (as if in a dream)
challenging my very presence

As you took me in your arms and kissed me
(well-intended warnings ringing in my ears)
so veils fell away, heart of the old willow tree
an epicentre of omnipotence

Your body offered far more than sanctuary
from demons pursuing me for years
as, passion for passion, our natural sexuality
laid claim to a godly inheritance

Earth Mother loudly applauding our decision,
love and season joined as one
in what was, is, and always will be a reason
to celebrate life’s magnificence

Let prejudice choose to see, say, do as it wills,
it knows little that dares not lift nature’s veils

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010; 2016

[Note: First published under the title 'Epicentre' in On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010; revised ed. in e-format in preparation.]

No comments: