Thursday 18 July 2013

The Alphabet Cat


I was not a very confident child or young man. Put down by many because I had a bad lisp and a hearing problem no one was prepared to acknowledge, my idea of heaven was to be left alone on an island in the middle of nowhere with just birds and beasts for company. In my imagination, I visited that island many, many times.

As a teenager getting my head around being gay, at first I felt even more isolated from mainstream life than ever.  Gay people, I had been told all my young life, were among the lowest of the low.

Gradually, as I explored various closet outlets for meeting other gay people, I felt less alone and a whole new self-confidence began to take root. At the time, I felt that family, friends and teachers had failed me. My outlook on life was distorted by resentment. Slowly but surely, this resentment ebbed away. (Playing the blame game is never a good idea.).

Where I had been wary, even scared, I began to take strength from my sexuality. This was something I could understand, take on and win through instead of being the loser everyone seemed to take me for. Oh, it was hard, having to lie and be secretive about my forays into gay life, but I was discovering a new self or, rather, an old self that had been all but buried alive under layers of conventional and family ‘values’.  I was rewriting my own history even as I was creating it.

 It was a tough, but also very exciting time for me. Even so, I hadn’t quite overcome my native inhibitions and decided to visit my imaginary island for real, and stay a while, get as far away from everything and everyone dragging on my new found persona as possible. So I ‘migrated’ to Australia, which proved a mini-disaster after a nightmare voyage by sea during which I had never felt so lonely in my life before or since. Could this ne how I would feel on my island stripped of fantasy and engaging with the harsher realities of life? 

Much as I loved Australia, I did not like the feeling of being at best an outsider, at worst alone, one bit. Yet, this encouraged me to crawl out of my shell and take on not just my sexuality but also the world at large.

When I returned to the UK, I found a job, took speech therapy lessons, won a college place, ended up at university and was eventually accepted for a professional course that resulted in my becoming a chartered librarian. True, I was in and out of my gay closet like a Jack-in-the-box for a few more years before I came out to stay, but I was on the right track to realizing more of my potential as a human being than I had thought possible years earlier.

For me, the cherry on the cake is being openly gay and confident enough about my sexuality for fewer people to try and put me down for it. (There will always be bigots in the world who can’t see people for blinkers on both outer and inner eyes!)

I have fought off most of my demons and won. It doesn’t matter where we are in life so long as we find our way through its ups and downs and end up having achieved a sense of identity with which we can feel comfortable if not proud. It has precious little to do with fame or fortune, ethnicity or sexuality; it has to do with making time for finding out about ourselves and each other, and generally making the best rather than the worst of whatever life dishes us, which is different for everyone so it is pointless and misleading to compare ourselves with anyone else.

Pinocchio learned to take his conscience for a guide and Dorothy did much the same on the yellow brick road. Alternatively, a cat may well do nicely…


THE ALPHABET CAT 

A cat would sit on a mat
at the nursery door;
I found much comfort in that,
an ally in its purr

It would come with me
to the school gate
whenever I needed to explain
why I was late

My first day at the office,
and its bright eyes
would follow me as I made tea
and loaded photocopiers

It approved my first love,
one magical holiday
of sun, sea, sand, and (safe) sex
where G-A-Y rules OK

Oh, it’s always been there
on the same old mat,
encouraging (never judging) me,
going in or coming out

If it has a name, I’ve no idea,
but of this I’m sure,
it will be waiting for me on a mat  
at Earth Mother’s door

Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; rev. 2012


[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears in  A Feeling for the Quickness of Time by R. N. Taber, 2005, rev. 2012.]

No comments: