Friday 27 September 2013

Braving the Dream OR Connecting with Missing Links


This poem was inspired by a recent conversation with a gay immigrant who saw a close friend executed in his home country for being gay. As a result, I find myself looking back to dark years long ago when I was afraid to be openly gay. It has to be one of the twenty-first century’s greater human tragedies that there are still gay men and women across the world who, for one reason or another, feel unable to burst open the closet door, seize and link up with whatever (or whoever) may be missing in their lives. True, it's rarely if ever easy, and even for love there is often a price to pay one way or another ... but it is also true that nothing ventured, nothing gained, and even human cost can often be negotiated to (almost) everyone's satisfaction, although it may well involve everyone concerned agreeing to a degree of compromise; nor does the latter have to be a bad thing, especially in a good cause.

Even here, in London UK, I know and meet men and women, young and older, who remain convinced that being gay is a stigma they have no wish to parade like a pink, inverted,  triangle in a concentration camp.(For all its faults, the world today is better than that, surely?)

Oh, but what an unfulfilled life!

Oh, but what a waste of humanity’s capacity for love!

Oh, but what an indictment on certain socio-cultural-religious constraints on the individual worldwide simply because he or she happens to be gay!

Ah, but we should never underestimate love’s capacity for victory over its adversaries, especially over arrogant, bigoted, fools who like to think they know better. The latter can discriminate as much as they like, oppress us as much as they like, but love is better than that, and gay love is no exception. 

At time's Endgame, oppressed people everywhere (gay or straight) will prove their worth and get the upper hand; if we can help make that happen sooner rather than latter, all the better.  
  
BRAVING THE DREAM or CONNECTING WITH MISSING LINKS

Once, I hid my feelings away
scared of what people might say
if they knew I’m gay;
afraid, too, of my feelings for you
and what you might say if you knew
I’m gay

My feelings, they wanted out,
to brave whatever  people may say
once they know I’m gay;
brave, too, my feelings for you,
whatever you may say once you know
I’m gay

Shut in a closet dark and cold,
scared of missing out, growing old,
a love story left untold;
afraid, too, you’ll never know
how I love making love with you so
in my dreams

My dreams, they wanted out,
to brave whatever  people may say
once they know I’m gay;
brave, too, my feelings for you,
whatever you may say once you know
I’m gay

One day, I forced the closet door,
braved the stares, sunlight, and more;
suddenly, scared and unsure;
braved, too, my feelings for you,
set my spirit free, let my mind run true,
body in tears

My body, it so wanted out,
to brave whatever  people might say
now they know I’m gay;
now their turn to choose how to be
about your feelings once hid from me,
afraid to be gay  

Years for years, tears for tears,
we braved each other’s worst fears;
suddenly proud and sure;
braved, too, a gay love laid bare
for the world, our  joy to share if it dare
end its nightmares


Copyright R. N. Taber 2013






No comments: