Saturday 5 September 2020

An Autumn Kindling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Today's poem first appeared on the blog in 2011.

Strange, isn't it, how some snatches of idle conversation stay in your head for all time while we can often barely recall the substance of the most earnest debate?

When I was a kid, some 70 years ago, overheard someone remark to my mother how she loved spring because ‘it’s the month for falling in love, and you’re never too old for that.’ My mother agreed, but added, ‘Love doesn’t have a season, silly. It’s an anytime, anyplace, anywhere, anyone thing.’

She knew a thing or two, my mum. 

AN AUTUMN KINDLING

Autumn is a sad time, some say,
yet it’s a glad time of year for me,
recalling how one cold October
brought us a gloriously sunny day
when we paused, total strangers,
to watch squirrels in a tree at play

The tree, it was a pretty evergreen,
its shiny leaves smelling of summer,
recalling how one gorgeous June
I’d met a stunningly handsome man,
misread a one-night stand as love,
swore how I’d never go there again

The squirrels were a sight to see,
seemed unconcerned by our laughter;
we caught each other’s lively eye
and your smile, it stirred ashes in me
as near dead flames starting to flicker,
autumn wind blowing far less coldly

We chatted for a while, took a photo
of the playful squirrels on our phones
till they scampered way out of sight;
nothing else for it now but part and go
our separate ways, yet we lingered,
and in your eyes, I saw my fire’s glow

Winter days are cheerless, some say,
yet they’re a glad time of year for me,
recalling how one golden October
blessed us with a glorious autumn day
when we paused, we total strangers,
to watch squirrels in tall pine at play

The tree, oh, the prettiest evergreen,
its shiny leaves smelling of summer
and already re-working my life history,
telling the squirrels all about two men
getting very cosy and warm if shyly,
and plainly intending to go there again

Copyright R. N. Taber 2011; 2020


No comments: