Monday 7 September 2015

Vice Versa OR G-A-Y, At the Cutting Edge of Reason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I sometimes receive emails from gay people (and their parents) who complain that I over simplify the act of ‘coming out’ as an openly gay boy, girl, man or woman. Apologies for that, but it is not the impression I try to give. On the contrary, I appreciate only too well how hard it can be for some gay people to be openly gay, especially if they happen to be living in a gay-unfriendly environment.

The first and (in my view) the most important step is that gay people should come ‘out’ to themselves. How they live their lives after that is up to them; that’s where choice comes into the equation. We do not choose to be gay, nature made us this way, but we do have to choose what paths we follow in life once we have acknowledged our sexuality to ourselves.

Gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual or heterosexual, we all need to come to terms with the multi-facets of human nature and the human condition as it relates to us on a personal level and makes us who we are; once we acknowledge these and bring them together in mind, body and spirit, then and only then are we in a position to choose to make more or less of the opportunity to make more or less of our lives…as we are, not as others would perhaps have us be.

As I have said on the blogs so many times, our differences do not make us different, only human. While it may not always be easy to get other people to see that,  it has been my experience that life becomes a whole lot liveable once we see it for ourselves.

VICE VERSA or G-A-Y, AT THE CUTTING EDGE OF REASON

Told, a devil in me,
all but sold on the idea of my sexuality
as a travesty of morality;
cold, this body for want of intimacy,
grown old before its time, a fragile mind
at the cutting edge of reason

Conventions taunting me,
all but convincing me I entertain a parody
of humanity;
questions haunting me,
demanding of sense and sensibility
a lasting reconciliation

At odds with family
and friends, raging against a raw obstinacy
(all they ever see…);
a frantic  spirit in me
demanding the human right to be free
to be as I am, no one else

Time, applauding me
for going my own way, and purposefully
though remarked foolishly
by those who cannot (or will not) see
life is love,  and vice versa

Copyright R. N. Taber 2015











No comments: