Friday 4 September 2015

G-A-Y, Worth Every Heartbeat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I once spent some time with two gay Muslims visiting London from Manchester where they were studying. I asked them how they felt about returning home to Iran.  While admitting to being scared, they were equally determined not to be parted.  

Could they live with having to keep a secret that could literally be the death of them? One replied, ‘It will not be a secret between us which is all that really matters. So we appear to play the game, toe the line, however you like to call it. No one needs to know or get hurt so long as we are careful. It will be very hard, of course, and very hypocritical, but worth every damn heartbeat.’

I often wonder what became of them…

G-A-Y, WORTH EVERY HEARTBEAT

Yearning you,
my whole body burning for you,
and yet I find myself turning
from you, told it’s the right thing
to do

Aching you,
this lonely heart breaking for you
where it would make a home
for you because it’s a right thing
we do

Yearning us,
my whole body burning for us,
yet I find myself turning
from us for every door slamming
in our faces

Aching us,
this lonely heart breaking for us
where little chance for us
in the cold, cruel light of history’s
take on us

Daring us,
hearts pounding, bodies burning
bridges for the crossing
of various socio-cultural-religious
divides

Applauding us,
bluebird of happiness singing for us
on every street, in every tree,
and sadness, too, for all gay victims
of bigotry


Copyright R. N. Taber 2015

No comments: