Friday 21 January 2011

All Our Yesterdays OR G-A-Y, Coming Out to Love

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Today's is one of my early poems, written nearly 40 years ago, but still rings true.

Now, coming out to family and friends and then finding love have to be among the most spiritually uplifting experiences in any gay person’s life. Never let anyone tell you that gay people don’t know the meaning of love or that religion has a monopoly on spirituality. [Yes, I know I have said this before and dare say I’ll say it again. But, as regular readers will know, I often quote my dear, late mother who used to say that if something is worth saying once, it is worth repeating.]

ALL OUR YESTERDAYS or G-A-Y, COMING OUT TO LOVE

One fine day,
I went looking for love,
but didn’t find it
in the whispering grass
or skies above

Where once a forest,
there weren’t any trees;
where once flowers
returned to life by the sun,
no love for anyone

I took a ship
to some Promised Land,
promises broken,
left lying in the sand
for me to find

I came home,
nothing much to show
but the knowledge
of a loser, it doesn’t
pay to know

One fine day
I went looking again,
found you all alone,
strained to hear you say,
‘Please stay...’

Only yesterday,
we started living again,
two gay men,
finally coming out
to love

Copyright R. N. Taber 1970; 2009

[Note: Slightly revised from the original, written in 1970 and rediscovered in 2009.]

No comments: