Friday 25 March 2011

Seasons Of The Heart


Like most people, I love my home country, not least because it is my home but also, too,  for its seasons. We may complain about winter but it is always good to look forward to spring.

It often seems to me that as the seasons pass, return, and pass again...so the human heart follows them rather like an adoring fan trying to copy the ways of this celebrity hero or that.

As regular readers know only too well, Earth Mother has been my heroine since childhood. She endures and survives humankind’s repeated attacks on her yet remains, for the most part, a force for good. Oh, yes, she can be harsh, even mercilessly cruel, but isn’t that true of the human psyche also?

I like to think that human nature, too, is a force for good; at least, for the most part. Yet, I look around at what is happening on my own doorstep, let alone the world at large, and cannot hep but wonder...

Photo: Men Kissing Under Tree by Kay Tobin Lahusen (Internet)

SEASONS OF THE HEART

My love came with the swallow
that nests in spring;
in fairest flight I’d follow,
hear its bluebells ring

My love, it sang loud and clear
across earth and sky
for the whole world to hear
though some deny

My love, it told me that I’m gay
nor less a man for that;
whatever some people say,
home truths will out

Come winter’s freezing chill,
together still

Copyright R. N. Taber 2004. 2011

[Note: A slightly different version of this poem first appeared in an anthology, Heart and Mind, Poetry Now (Forward Press) 2003 and subsequently in The Third Eye by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2004; 2nd (revised) e-edition in preparation.] 

No comments: