Thursday 31 March 2011

Leaves On The Track


I don’t usually believe in Fate, but every now and then, something happens, and I wonder ...


(Photo taken from the Internet)


LEAVES ON THE TRACK

I first glimpsed him on a railway station,
he on one platform fretting about a late train,
me doing much the same on mine,
both of us making time for glances in the rain;
his hair was the colour of a summer storm,
eyes, shining like leaves in the late afternoon,
lips as full and red as cock robin’s breast,
and kisses as feisty as midsummer raindrops
rehearsing a lively tune

I felt as if I’d known him all my life
though he was but a complete stranger to me;
it was like taking off in a time machine,
revisiting every lovemaking in a gay life history;
the rain turned to tears for lost loves
though its freshness on my skin so exhilarating
it took me through cruel hoops
without fear, and me a one-time victim
of its storytelling

The roar of his train raged in my ears
(the cries of thwarted lovers through centuries)
then my train arrived, screaming at me
to get real, be rational, dismiss foolish fantasies;
boarding the train, a hand on my arm
made me to turn around but I saw no one there
only a sad, lonely, empty platform
much as a poet might describe a fairytale
stripped bare...

I flung open the door and jumped down
(just seconds before your train took off with a yell)
only to be tossed on a sea of waving hands
as if I were object and subject of a witch’s spell;
Ah, but I had forgotten about white magic
and how hope will always get the better of despair,
like the best poems and fairytales
conspiring to make us miss our trains,
keep us there

It didn’t seem long before we caught another train,
looking forward to the time we’d be together again


Copyright R. N. Taber 2009; 2011

[Note: From: Tracking the Torchbearer by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2012 (without photo)]









No comments: