Friday 11 March 2011

The Kiss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Readers often ask for the link to my poetry reading on the 4th plinth in London's Trafalgar Square in 2009 by way of being my contribution to sculptur Anrony Gormley's One and Other 'live sculpture' project during which ordinary people from all walks of life and parts of the UK did their 'own thing' for one hour 24/7 over 100 days:

http://www.webarchive.org.uk/wayback/archive/20100223121732/oneandother.co.uk/participants/Roger_T  [NB: Sept 19, 2019 - The British Library confirmed today that he video is no longer available as it was incompatible with a new IT system, However, it still exists and BL hope to reinstate it and make it available to the public again at some future date.] RNT

Now, I have always enjoyed kissing. When readers contact me to ask why I have written several poems about kissing...well, that’s why. When I am kissing another man, I spread wings and the entire subsequent sexual experience develops not only as a sensual but also a spiritual one. Mind you, it needs the right man and he needs to feel the same about me. It doesn’t even have to be love. Love is a bonus. Mutual attraction can be spark enough to ignite the fires of passion. [Not that I get much of that these days except when I am writing a gay-interest poem!]

Oh, yes, I love all sexual foreplay, including kissing, and have never been interested in the sex act for its own sake. It may work for some people, but not for me. Ah, but don’t get me wrong. I’m not being judgemental. Whatever works for you, go for it, that’s what I say.

THE KISS

One kiss, I place above all others,
conveying the passion of a midsummer night,
bringing to the heart of my darkness
all the comfort and joy of an armchair firelight,
letting my natural sexuality go free,
drop all pretence of pandering to conventions
bent on persecuting me

One kiss, I place above all others,
urging me not to feel ashamed but come out
fighting (win or lose) if I must ...
not for my sake, but a centuries-old birthright
to wear Earth Mother’s colours
with pride instead of pandering to conventions
nailing bars at my windows

One kiss, I place above all others,
treading, oh, so gently on the sweetest dreams,
flooding my body with the heat
of an insatiable spirituality tearing at its seams,
anxious to wear its colours
with pride instead of pandering to conventions
mapping out the world’s scars

One kiss I place above all others
brought me to my knees as you lay me down
in the cradle of history
that has cherished the same christening gown
handed down across centuries
by those choosing not to pander to conventions,
be taken for freaks, put in cages

It’s a gay kiss I place above all others, my first,
that I’ve since nurtured, seen grow, and let last

Copyright R. N. Taber 2009

[From: Tracking The Torchbearer by R N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2012.]

No comments: