Thursday 20 June 2013

A Tale of Two Halves


Among my critics are gay people living here in London who keep telling me that gay people have never had it so good, and where that is true I am, of course, delighted.  However, it is not true for everyone.  The point of this blog is not only to try and entertain gay readers with gay-interest poems but especially encourage those struggling with self-doubt and other powerful forces, internal or external. Gay or straight, it is important that we feel GOOD about ourselves and not let others put us down for whatever reason. 

Acknowledging homosexuality is rarely easy, especially for someone living in a gay-unfriendly home, school, or work environment. Yes, even in London UK, especially among those whose cultural history is intrinsically homophobic. I would remind readers, too, that this blog is read worldwide (according to Google stats) and in some parts of the southern hemisphere, being gay is (still) punishable by imprisonment, even death.

Once we acknowledge our sexuality, we are faced with the question, what (if anything) do we do about it? Some people choose to do nothing, and hope for the best while others prefer to nurture the rose and risk its thorns drawing blood.

This poem may be a tale of two gay halves, but is life really any different whether we are gay or straight?  I mean, who would really settle for half a life when the chances are there is another half somewhere every bit as anxious to hitch up to a kindred spirit?

Like many clichés, it is so true that, ’Nothing ventured, nothing gained.’

A TALE OF TWO HALVES 

He said he dare not love me
had been warned I was the Devil
come to tempt him

He told me he must go away 
or people would say nasty things
about us

He insisted he wasn’t gay
and I had read his body language
all wrong

He put his hands to his ears
as if to shut out my words of love
once and for all

He (finally) turned away,
ran to the door, seized the handle,
and froze

He turned, and walked back 
to me, his tears like the falling stars  
of my dreams

He confessed he'd but settled
for half a life, as better than no life
at all...

He admitted he was surer of me
than himself, had never dared come
this far before

He told me friends and family
would take time (if ever) to accept
we were lovers

He put his lips to mine, bodies
joined in an embrace no less spiritual
than carnal

Gladly, we gave my weepy bed
good cause for celebrating life, love,
sex and sexuality


Copyright R. N. Taber 2013

No comments: