Sunday 2 June 2013

Still Waters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

To suggest some people might (still) consider suicide because they are gay will sound absurd to many gay people and the more enlightened among the heterosexual majority. Sadly, it is only too true, especially among young people who have neither the articulation or experience to cope with an awakening homosexuality.  

As I have said before, coming to terms with being gay is rarely easy, but especially if you happen to be growing up in a gay-hostile environment anywhere in the world.

This blog is read around the world, and in some countries gay people (still) live in fear of their lives.

Still waters run deep, they say, and it’s true. Some people are so inward looking (and critical of what they see) every hour of every day is like living on a knife-edge, but no one knows because they confide in no one. It always helps to talk things through, clear the mind, recover a sense of proportion, and draw on inner strengths we never knew we had; to be as we are, not as certain others, even those closest to us, might prefer us to be.

It has been my personal experience that some of the most life-changing events can happen by chance, in the least likely places, and with more than a little help from complete strangers. 

A guy with whom I got chatting at a gay bar once, years ago, likened being gay to being captain of a submarine, skilfully and calmly manoeuvring still waters while rough seas raged above. "Mind you," he conceded, "It takes one helluva lot of self-discipline, and easier said than done, but..." he added ,"I like to be in charge of my own mind and body ..no one else...although...," he chuckled, "there's no harm in letting someone else think they are sometimes. Another beer.

STILL WATERS 

I’d been leaning on a bridge
over still, sleepy, waters below
when a guy came along
and asked the time. I didn’t know,
just wanted him to go

He stayed a while and talked
though I barely caught a word
(in one ear, out the other)
for trailing across my lonely world
like a clip-winged bird

He commented on the weather
(warm, even for a summer’s day)
but I paid no attention
until words like humanity, bigotry,
love and sexuality

That’s when he said he was gay,
and had me hanging on every word
for this was the first time
I was able to share, discuss, confide
my lonely world

We went back to his hotel room,
talked some more, had a few beers;
he asked if he could kiss me
and I could see a twinkle in his eyes
knew my ‘no’ meant ‘yes’

In his arms I felt perfectly safe,
his kiss, sweet, but firm and long
sent mind, body, and spirit
pulling together, making me strong,
this life worth living

Just the one kiss before goodbye,
and never seen him since that day,
to whom I owe everything
or I may have thrown my life away
in a river ’cause I’m gay

Copyright R. N. Taber 2013

No comments: