Saturday 22 June 2013

Listening Works Both Ways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Today’s poem was inspired by an email from someone some time ago who had taken himself off to ‘think through whether I am really gay or not' only to decide that he is and return to be reunited with his boyfriend a few months later. A subsequent email told me of their civil partnership earlier this year ‘attended by many family members and old friends. ‘

While it is always worth listening to what others have to say, even if only to find out where we stand with them, eventually we must make up our own minds. With any luck, we may yet prove them wrong who cast doubts on our capacity for sound judgment, even do their best to bring it into disrepute. 

Whatever, we only get one shot at living this life so far better (surely?) to do it our way rather than let anyone else dictate differently; just as they are entitled to their life so, too, are we.

When, oh, when will some people understand that our differences don’t make us different, only human?

LISTENING WORKS BOTH WAYS

I’d hear voices calling,
battle cries always the same,
dear, familiar, voices persuading me
to come home

I’d hear my love calling
all the time, be it night or day,
shooting down every reason I’d said
I couldn’t stay

Family, demanding
I pause and lend an ear for once
to such ‘home truths’ as never gave us
even half a chance

Old friends, warning,
‘Give yourself a break, go away,
get your head straight, and give up on
this being gay…’

Neighbours whispering,
‘Something is never quite right
about someone slinking off like a thief
in the night…’

I’d hear a voice screaming
whenever, wherever, I’d roam,
always the same voice, and in such pain,
(it was my own)

Kinder voices calling,
once I ran out of excuses to roam,
returned to my lover where we’ve since
made a home

Family, friends, neighbours,
can take or leave us as they may,
we’re all only human, nor any the less so
for being gay 

Copyright R. N. Taber 2012







No comments: