Monday 10 June 2013

Passing Glances


Sometimes when I catch someone's eye (or they catch mine) it feels like we are confiding an entire life history without having to say a word.

My mother once commented that a look can reveal more home truths than a bestselling biography although it would be some years before I understood what she meant.

PASSING GLANCES

Sheltered under an awning
only yesterday,
heard someone muttering
‘I bet he’s gay.’

Can’t help but wonder why
he’s sniffing
at my clothes, eager to catch my eye,
turn up his nose

Who knows? Need to flout
a macho pose
so no one’s in any doubt
he ain’t one of us?

Could it be an inner eye
taking in the scene,
closet self in anxious denial, turning
shades of green?

As for me, I was in flames
fanned with lies,
making believe it was anger,
I fed his lovely eyes

Finally, the rain stopped,
we were in the clear,
free to go our separate ways,
no one the wiser

Copyright R. N. Taber 2004; 2011

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the title 'A Wet Day on the High Street' in 1st eds. of The Third Eye by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2004; 2nd (revised) e-edition in preparation]

No comments: