Friday 21 June 2013

G-A-Y, Raised Voices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Update, Dec 14, 2018: As regular readers will know, a slim volume of my general and gay-interest poems will be widely available next spring, and I am hoping it will sell well enough to give the publishers (Austin Macauley) positive food for thought regarding a follow-up volume. While many of my poems have appeared in various poetry magazines and anthologies, most gay-interest submissions were rejected. I resorted to self-publishing collections of mixed general/ gay-interest poems; while these sold well, I had limited funds and they were only available in the UK.

When I have a publishing date, I will let everyone know. Meanwhile (as I struggle with online proofing) I am asking any blog readers who enjoy my poems to not only spread the word but also at least consider buying a copy and/or reserving one at their local public library where appropriate. I do not ask out of any financial consideration (there is no money in poetry!) but it can only help bring gay-interest poetry to the attention of poetry lovers worldwide, and thereby help give the whole LGBT ethos  more credibility, and lead to a greater understanding among those dinosaurs across the world who remain hostile to the concept.

Although most of my poems appear on my blogs, I am in my 70s now and not in the best of health. The Grim Reaper could come calling any time; sooner or later, my blogs may well fade into some distant digital sunset.

I appreciate that poetry is not to everyone’s liking and feedback from the gay readers worldwide suggests that there are those gay readers who see gay-interest poetry as a separate genre. We must agree to differ as I see general and gay-interest poetry a alternative voices of the same genre. A poem is a pom is a poem regardless of content just as person is a person is a person regardless of colour, creed, sex or sexuality.

While our sexuality is an important part of anyone’s whole, it is still only a part. We are the sum of all our parts, and I, for one, get fed-up with the less enlightened among us homing in on my sexuality and all but ignoring the other parts.

I have written well over 1,000 poems; of these, a significant number are gay-interest poems meant to be enjoyed but also encourage gay people around the world to feel good about themselves especially any who may find themselves living in a socio-cultural-religious environment that is anything but gay-friendly. Feedback suggests there are many, even in the more gay-friendly western hemisphere; we may have pro-gay legislation here, but you cannot legislate for bad attitude.

I am hoping to be well enough to give at least a few readings from the book to help promote it albeit  various health problems mean these are likely to be only in the London area. In the past, my readings have been advertised locally and well received by gay-friendly audiences across the UK; in libraries, regular gay group meet-ups and other venues. Even so, some people missed the posters, were only aware of a poetry reading taking place and told me afterwards how they hadn't expected to hear, let alone enjoy any poems on a gay theme; now, that really made my day.

Wishing all of you, my blog readers, love and peace always,

Roger

Meanwhile...

There comes a time for most gay boys and girls, men and women, when we feel a need to let the whole world know just who we are.

Today’s poem first appears in an anthology, Never Hold Time, Poetry Now (Forward Press) 2003 and subsequently in my collection.

Some time ago, two sixteen-year olds got in touch with me. ‘Ben’ and his boyfriend ‘Matt’ had been in a closet relationship for several months. Apparently, the only person who knew their secret was Ben’s sister; she then discovered the gay section in The Third Eye after borrowing it from her local public library and gave it to him to read. Subsequently, Ben and Matt started following the blog and they have been in touch again since to say they are now out to family and friends and ‘everything’s okay.’

Ben wrote:  ‘I like this poem because it’s easy to understand and isn’t complicated like lots of poems. That’s how we want people to think about us. Why should being gay be so hard for some people to understand, and what’s so complicated about accepting people for who they are?’

Well may you ask, Ben!

This poem is a villanelle.

G-A-Y, RAISED VOICES

Come, let’s shout;
high time the world knew
we’re out

Dark clouds about,
but skies are turning blue;
Come, let’s shout!

Trust me, never doubt
it’s so right for me and you
we’re out

It’s what love is all about,
together we’ll see it through;
Come, let’s shout

Its seasons long or short,
may all love’s paths run true;
we’re out!

Putting stereotypes to rout,
profiling the gay point of view
Come, let’s shout,
'We’re out!'

Copyright R. N. Taber 2004; 2013

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears in 1st eds. of The Third Eye by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2004.]

No comments: