Saturday 17 May 2014

On Earth Mother's Watch


Regular readers will know that I discovered some very early poems a few years ago; they were in an old exercise book and examples of my handwriting at its worst! However, all were readable and I have made relatively few revisions although changed the title of this one several times..

So, yes, here’s another poem from those dark, closet days when I was just seventeen years-old and gay relationships were a criminal offence here in the UK.

The likes of Russia’s President, Vladimir Putin exist worldwide (countries like Uganda and Nigeria immediately spring to mind) where anti-gay legislation encourages the persecution of gay people for their sexuality alone; any supporters are a disgrace to his or her office, country,  religion, and themselves. [I say that not as a gay man but a human being.]

So, yes, what will future generations worldwide think when they look back at the start of this 21st century, I wonder?  Let's face it. Even now, a hundred years on from the outbreak of the First World War, certain snapshots of the world can but make us wonder about the legitimacy of the bigger picture its various political and religious leaders like to convey... 

ON EARTH MOTHER'S WATCH

The world is a dark place,
where humanity hides a cruel face,
has neither time nor space
for people like me, yet planet Earth
is so vast a place and its mother
has so kind a face so (surely?) room
for people like me

The world is my enemy
where humanity dead set against me;
fat chance against history
for people like me, yet somewhere
good folk are taking my part
across time and space, giving heart
to people like me

The world’s inhumanity
would persecute us for our sexuality,
cleanse time and space of us
even where a common sun, moon,
(and history) bent on invoking
Earth Mother’s call on time and space
to let us in

No womb nurtures its child in darkness
but for the light of the world to embrace


Copyright R. N. Taber 1963; 2013


No comments: