Wednesday 21 May 2014

(Back) Down to Earth


Regular readers will know that I suffer from regular bouts of depression. Antidepressants help, but they are no magic cure. Yet, somehow I manage to call on hidden strengths to keep from falling into the proverbial pit and make my way back to a semblance of ‘normal life’…whatever that is. The kinder spirits of nature and human nature play their part, taking me on journeys across time and space,  revisiting loved ones dead and living, places and people that have given me sanctuary from the worst life so loves to throw at us from time to lime, reminding me why I attempted suicide at  the age of thirty-three as well as how and why I found my way to start living again.

I have suffered from depression as a child although depression in children was not recognized in those days. I was often told I was a moody or ‘difficult’ child at school and at home. As I grew older and realized I am gay, I found myself fighting a lonely battle with my feelings but was probably seen by many as just another ‘difficult’ teenager. I was a nervous breakdown waiting to happen…as it did in my early 30s. Then, as now, writing was my lifeline, especially poetry.

Not so long ago, I met a young man who poured out his heart over several cups of tea in a local cafĂ© where I sometimes have lunch. He was plainly depressed. I recognized the symptoms. He was also in denial of his sexuality, just as I had been many years ago. Could the two be linked? I put it to him that he might give it some thought. He leapt to his feet, almost knocking his chair over. ‘I’m not gay,’ he shouted. ‘I hate gays,’ he yelled again and left …but not before snatching up my card that was lying on the table.

He did get in touch and we exchange emails regularly. After using me as a verbal punch bag for some time, he later acknowledged to me (and more importantly, to himself) that he is gay, but has yet to come out to family, friends and colleagues. It is his decision, but I am sure he will find his way to being openly gay in time. Until then,  he says, it feels like like living in a halfway house as he discovers what it is to be gay and creates a comfort zone from which he can come out to family and friends.

Whatever our social, cultural or religious identity, sexual identity also needs (and deserves) to express itself, openly and freely. 

In many countries - Russia, Nigeria, Uganda, to name but a few, LGBT relationships are a criminal offence, but in so-called 'liberal' countries, too, gay boys and girls, men and women are growing up in a gay-unfriendly environment under immeasurable stress. Those of us who can be openly gay without fear or (visible) prejudice would do well to give them some thought, offer encouragement, and never become complacent. 

(BACK) DOWN TO EARTH 

Swaying, drunk with life
at the very edge of its darkness,
struggling to keep a balance
of sorts or go into freefall,
no soft landing if landing at all,
but a lonely journey
among fake highs and tearful lows,
landscape of human nature

Darkness, hell among ghosts
losing the will to live and keep
fighting the good fight
for all mind-body-spirit can achieve
in spite of those ever ready
to dismiss any positive soundings
by prose and poetry to obliterate us
from living memory

Let painters, musicians,
all art-forms inspire we less blessed
to find a place of rest
within ourselves for engaging
with the artist in a finer art
than art alone can aspire, take heart
heart from its ascension into a heaven
of its and our own making

Oh, but joie de vivre
can be ours for the reworking yet
if we but dare to let
its spirit run free - look to see,
read to learn, hear to listen,
lose what we fear most
to senses left open to ‘live’ positives
in nature and human nature 

At the edge of darkness,
sounds, sights, cries, calling
me back to you, my love,
while grieving us (much like this),
the kinder for mind-body-spirit
stage-managing rehearsals
for ... what, exactly? Where to look 
but in personal space?

Few if any answers there,
but I am as I am, and any who would
put me down cannot erase
Apollo’s first kisses on my lips
as to certain bliss
(if uncertain peace) it's back down
to Earth, all the softer landing to find
you waiting for me here

Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; 2014

[Note: An earlier version of this poem under the title 'The Return' first appeared in A Feeling for the Quickness of Time by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books 2005.]

No comments: