Saturday 31 May 2014

A Dream Come True


Some gay people acknowledge their sexuality only to themselves and become accustomed to a closet life, even convincing themselves they prefer it to all the daunting complications that  accompany getting real…until someone come along to make the damn closet a far less habitable place, and all the complications of an alternative reality far less daunting …

A DREAM COME TRUE or AN ALTERNATIVE REALITY

An end-of-tether night
out on the town, stuck in
the closet

You were sitting alone
with a beer, green eyes
everywhere, sunlight
in reddish hair like sparks
from a winter fire
that lit a flame in my heart
from the start

I wanted to speak
but did not dare in case
you sent me packing
with a flea in my ear - so
I hung around...
and tried to pretend
I was with a friend;
you glanced my way,
piercing my heart,
played with a button
on your shirt…
I glimpsed a tawny hair,
a twinkle in each eye
beckoning me near

We chatted awhile,
your erotic smile arousing
such heat in me
that you were a part of me
long before you finally
invited me back to yours
for a coffee…

A getting-it-right night
in with a chance, got out
of the closet


Copyright R. N. Taber 2002, c2011

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the tittle 'Burn-out' in my collection First Person Plural, Assembly Book, 2002.]

No comments: