Monday 19 May 2014

Close Encounters of the Third Age


A gay friend, growing old(er) like me, recently commented with some bitterness that he probably would not be on his own in the winter of his years if he wasn’t gay. ‘Gay relationships are so fragile,’ he said.

Bollocks!

True, many people find themselves on their own as they get old(er). Some relationships are too fragile to stand the test of time, but that has more to do with people not working at them than their sexuality. (Far too many people take their partners for granted.)  Sadly, some partners die while others fade away into a mist of wishful thinking.

Whatever, the Spirit of Love (in all its various shapes and forms) will be a good companion for life if we but let it. Moreover, gay or straight, male or female, we are never too old for romance, and never let anyone tell you differently.

The way some people pour scorn on relationships between old(er) people where clearly more than just platonic makes me so angry. Take no notice. They are just jealous.

Okay, sex isn’t everything, but nice work if you can get it…

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD AGE

Clouds broke,
made us run for shelter
in a shop doorway;
you spoke first,
but I didn’t catch a word
for wind and rain

I could but trust
my smile would convey
all I wanted to say
as you closed in,
put your mouth to an ear
straining to hear

Breath on my face
sweeter than a love poem,
and I was smitten,
half-forgotten
dreams of youth returning
my embrace

A dull, grey, day,
bringing people together,
no matter we’re gay
or past our prime
for the Rainmaker doesn’t
give a damn

Copyright R. N. Taber 2011

No comments: