Friday 3 July 2020

Safe Landings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Few of us are fortunate enough to have an easy time of it between the cradle and the grave, least of all lovers who find themselves at odds with family, friends, culture, religion...whatever. 

Many of us have nightmares, often fuelled by doubts and misgivings fed us on a daily basis by those who think they know what’s best for us, and really haven’t a clue. Moreover, in my experience, the severest critics of other people’s relationships have failed miserably in their own despite pretending otherwise…invariably more successfully to themselves and each other than to anyone else.

Oh, but the bliss of snuggling up to someone and feeling safe and loved. It's no different for same sex lovers, of course, and don't ever let anyone tell you differently.

SAFE LANDINGS

I hear sounds like a child crying
in my dreams, then screams;
my eyes flying open, straining
to hear, wind and rain engaging
with my fear

A noise like someone weeping
prevents me sleeping;
lips parting, framing questions,
quickening breaths shooting down
suspect answers

My nightmare would last longer
but our life-force the stronger;
beside me, your body stirs if briefly,
yet long enough, arms reaching out
to save me

We snuggle up, at peace for a joy
no loveless ghosts can destroy
(do their worst though they may)
for love will always side with its own,
straight or gay

Copyright R. N. Taber 2002; rev. 2020

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the title 'Safe and Sound' in First Person Plural by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2002.]

No comments: