Thursday 12 January 2012

Awakenings


Several readers have asked me to repeat this poem, but I try to keep repeats about two years apart; this one last appeared on the blog in May 2010. I hope new readers will like it and regular readers will enjoy being reacquainted with it.

Now, I suspect that I am not alone in saying that some of my happiest memories are also among the cheekiest...

AWAKENINGS 

Lying in your bed
in the middle of the night,
I nibble an ear,
excite such passions
that make sweet dreams
come true

Riding a storm,
I ease your shorts down,
tongue in cheek
pleading penetration
even while I'm wrestling
with a condom

As our bodies
relish a so-sensuous heat,
demanding of us 
no retreat, we press on,
well up for another victory
over our critics

Wave after wave
we swim to a safer shore 
than any this world
has to offer, drenching 
the sheets with intimate
laughter...

Becalmed at last,
we Creatures of the Deep
go back to sleep
and make love again,
conceding only to Apollo 
the last word

Copyright R. N. Taber 1996; 2010

[Note; This poem is a revised version of the original as it appears in my early selection, August And Genet, Aramby Publications, 1996, and subsequently in my first major collection Love And Human Remains, Assembly Books, 2001.]

No comments: