Tuesday 31 January 2012

20,000 Streets Under The Sky, and Counting


All over the world there are gay boys and girls coming to terms with their sexuality, and the fact that not everyone has either the maturity or understanding to recognize the moral courage it takes to ‘come out’ nor the inhumanity if not immorality of a holier-than-thou attitude towards  anyone who is ‘different’. 

As I have said many times, our differences do not make us different, only human.

This poem has not appeared on the blog since 2010 and reader ‘Bryan’ has requested its reappearance. Bryan says, ‘I have been happy living with the same partner for some years now, but will never forget my first rejection by a boy in the 6th form at school. It haunted me well into my thirties, and it wasn’t until I met my partner that I found the courage of my sexuality...’

I love that phrase ‘the courage of my sexuality’ don’t you?

Here’s sending a BIG HUG to Bryan and his partner.
  
20,000 STREETS UNDER THE SKY, AND COUNTING

Wandering a maze of streets where we’d played,
innocents in childhood’s special places,
I recalled dreams we’d had and plans we’d made,
chocolate and ice cream on our faces

Later, during teenage years, I’d dared confide
a sensation of being in freefall,
swept along by feelings compelled to hide
yet bound to answer nature’s frantic call

Wary of streets where once you’d walked with me,
tossed aside by our childhood’s secret haunts
on feisty waves of brave maturity,
I turned a deaf ear to your jeers and taunts

These streets, alone, stood by and embraced me,
kept faith with a youth’s sexuality

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010

No comments: