Saturday 17 March 2012

Mission Impossible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Oh, but life is full of the most delightful surprises at the most unexpected times ... 

Various socio-cultural-religious forces in societies worldwide may well may do their best to deter mind-body-spirit, but the better part of human nature will always find a way to rise above them wherever necessary and bring us to the Crossroads of Decision.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

We were simply watching TV
and I thought little of it
as you put an arm around me
but lay my head
against you, got comfortable
till a hand tilted my chin,
launching me there and then
on Mission Impossible

I saw a passion in your eyes
I’d never see before
as your lips homed in on mine
for a first kiss
but I wasn’t sure I wanted this
so turned my head away,
even managing to splutter
I wasn’t gay

Your face red with shame,
tears in your eyes
telling tales on frustrated desires
you’d kept from me,
I wasn’t sure I wanted to know
about such things,
but couldn’t run away, knew
I had to stay

I saw hope flare in your face
in spite of the tears;
suddenly, you had me pinioned
against a plump cushion,
my poor heart thumping madly
as your quivering lips
found their target this time
if clumsily

Your mouth on mine warmer,
sweeter than I imagined
another boy’s mouth could be,
I silently confessed - to
wet dreams about you for years,
drooling over your body
in the showers after Games
or P E

The weight of your body lighter,
your kiss less determined,
I felt your confusion burning
a hole in my shirt,
struggled to reason why my mind
should resist this being kissed
that was, after all, but answering
a cry from the heart

You retreating, expressions
of guilt and pain
reasserting senses I’d tried
to ignore,
I flung my arms around you
and drew you close,
free at last to relish the joy
of mutual response

We made love on a fluffy rug
(he’d brought a condom)
till all we wanted to do was lie
in each other’s arms,
no more lies or even words,
just an intimate silence
saying more than even lovers
can express

[From: Tracking the Torchbearer by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2012]




No comments: