Tuesday 29 May 2012

Alternative Transport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Today’s poem last appeared on the blog in 2010 and is posted today especially for readers ‘Jim and Philippe’ who are (like me) fed-up with people passing snide comments about not owing a car.

Now, people are often appalled by the fact that I don’t drive. Well, I live in a city so having a car is not essential. (It really isn’t!) I am happy to go along with the UK government’s drive to persuade everyone to use public transport more often. Even so, the Greener argument is not the only one that works for me...  

Public transport can be a real adventure.  Well, less of one or me these days, it’s true to say. I will be 67 later this year; not old, but let’s face it I have no partner and am not as young as I was either. Oh, but I’m not complaining. One way or another, I relive my life through poems where memory filters away the bad times and the good times continue to serve me well. Even in later years, they come back into play, those good times (e.g. a nothing special car drawing up alongside, a something special guy suggesting I jump in...) thereby encouraging me to add to the archives.

Now, why should an old dog learn new tricks when the old ones are such fun?

ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORT

We got chatting on a bus
in pouring rain, feeling bold
for no too-obvious reason,
cocking an ear to fairy tales
reworked by a pitter-patter
on the roof making us feel safe;
we chuckled, sharing a joke
or two, and it felt right to feel
comfortable with you

At your stop, I got off too;
we just laughed at getting wet
on a street you thought
was mine, I thought was yours,
took a while before we saw
this comedy of errors for what
it really was, not just fate
conspiring to bring us together,
but also our consenting

Another bus happened along
and dried our clothes, rumbling
ifs and whys of closet gays;
in his mirror, the driver winked,
saw clearer even than us
how (so) much happier we were
for (finally) getting it together,
two strangers on a single decker 
coming out to each other


Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; 2012

[Note: An earlier version of this poem was posted on the blog in 2010 and appears in  A Feeling for the Quickness of Time by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2005.] 





No comments: