Thursday 24 May 2012

Yesterday Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

A beautiful day here in the UK! My thoughts stray to summers past and...

Well, knows what the future holds, even for someone my age? There is, after all, a creative phenomenon commonly referred to as positive thinking ...

YESTERDAY MAN

I'd wonder sometimes if I’m gay
till I saw him on the beach one day,
blond hair bleached by the sun,
blue eyes laughing at everyone, a smile
that ran up and down my spine,
lips I’d rather taste than any wine,
body trim and tight, love at first sight
and it felt so ... right

Oh, but I had a hard on every day
that holiday. At night, we made love
in the wildest dreams,
bodies joined with such warmth
and passion, I couldn’t believe
a conversation I overheard at a bar
about ridding the world of poufs, pervs,
fags and queers ...

I contrived to crash into him,
let his beauty bring me to ecstasy
like a fruit flavoured condom,
his voice seduce me out of my shell.
Hadn’t I been in hell for ages,
taunted by a questions of sexuality?
Now here was a god in the flesh come
to answer me ... Oh, fantasy!

Yet, I took him to be straight,
and wouldn’t have dared say a word.
Besides, I was scared.
One day, in the water, he accused me
of staring and I blushed
to the roots of my hair. He laughed
and made a sudden grab for me, arms
pulling me down, no letting go

I thrashed and fought like a fish
caught on a line, but he very quickly
calmed me down with a grin,
though but I all but panicked again
as his arms pulled me closer,
waves crying "Yes!" as both of us
wanting more than a race to the shore
found us sharing our first kiss 

Seems like only yesterday, I'd wonder
if I’m really gay ...

Copyright R. N. Taber 2002; 2019

[Note: This poem has been slightly revised since it first appeared on the blog and an even earlier version that appears in First Person Plural by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2002.]

No comments: