Monday 7 May 2012

Ballad Of The Boy Next Door

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Many of the old adages that have fallen into everyday use are so corny. My goodness, but aren’t some of them just so true? I have in mind especially, ‘Fact is stranger than fiction’ & ‘Never judge a book by its cover.’

Among life’s many ironies, love (whatever the gender, age, class, culture, creed, religion or sexuality of its active participants) has never needed too much persuasion to go centre-stage, and rightly so ... especially in a world that needs more love in it.

BALLAD OF THE BOY NEXT DOOR

I used to play at cowboys
with the boy next door;
We‘d walk to school together,
share the homework chore;
Later we went to discos
and danced all night…
got drunk, tried drugs, began
to drift apart

I missed him more than words
can ever say,
having grown to love him
in such a way…
a smile that beat a roll of drums
on my heart,
playful touches like matches
to my shirt

Eventually, I knew, I must
make a decision;
I packed us in a box - marked
Do Not Open…
along with cowboy hats
and school reports;
Mad, musical days long gone
as life goes on

We met up again in a bar
one day;
I had one too many, told him
I’m gay;
His eyes filled with tears,
and I sensed distain…
as my tongue ran away
with years of pain

Afterwards, I dashed out
in the rain…
spent hours, wishing we were
cowboys again;
He found me in a dingy
back street café,
his hair a mess, face lined
and grey

I didn’t want to hear what
he had to say…
but the look in his eyes
made me to stay;
Could it be, I wondered,
that he understood?
Then I knew for sure
he did

Fingertips touching, like
lovers kissing...

[From: First Person Plural by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2002]


Note: Several readers have asked why the covers for my Love and Human Remains quartet - of which First Person Plural is volume two - are not in colour. Quite simply, I felt at the time that it was more appropriate as I tend to think of myself as a black-and-white poet. 


No comments: