Friday 25 May 2012

Gay Gets Real

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Even in the West, being openly gay is not as easy as some people try to make out; in other parts of the world it remains at best a taboo subject, at worst a criminal offence that can lead to incarceration in prison or worse.

Much depends on whether or not we grow up in a gay-friendly environment; a supportive network of family and friends can male all the difference. Sadly, not all gay people (could be anyone, anywhere) are fortunate to have this.

There are still far too many misleading and offensive stereotypes flying around that persist in attaching themselves to less enlightened minds among the heterosexual majority. We have come a long way since the dark days of my youth, but there is still much to do before being gay no longer has no stigma whatever attached to it in anyone’s mind.

Meanwhile, the more open we can be about the gay ethic and the fewer people that prefer not to stand up and be counted (for whatever reason)...so much the better for everyone.

GAY GETS REAL

I was but a moving image,
all substance gone,
yet convincing enough to pass
for a whole person;
my mouth let fly with words
for unperceptive ears,
limbs in sufficiently good order
for most labours

People looked into my eyes
and saw what they chose,
invariably a misplaced metaphor
for themselves;
beyond a conditioned will
to live up to its name,
my humanity was but a virtual
ploy in a computer game

Even when I discovered love
and found my own way
in life, it screwed up the works
for being gay…
or so I was told by webmasters
vying for my attentions,
but I’d escaped virtual mode,
ignored their directions

No longer a moving image,
all substance restored,
I see, smell, hear, speak, relate
to the world…
for all its frailties and failures,
and comprehend
how learning from its strengths
matters most in the end

[From: On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010]



No comments: