Wednesday 20 June 2012

Challenging the Status Quo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Among other things, the Olympic Games bring people together, athletes and spectators alike, from all walks of life regardless of colour, creed, sex or sexuality...which has to be a GOOD thing for all of us whether we are sports mad or not.

This poem is a kenning. I wrote it on my late partner’s birthday; we were only together a few years, but I cherish the memory of our love and some great times together.

Love is a fine pacemaker; pair it with pain and we are well-equipped to run the gamut of this sorry world’s testing times and places.

May the collective spirit of the Olympic Games endure for London 2012 and across the world long, long afterwards... [Oh, and wouldn't be great if more gay sportsmen and women set a good example and came out for us all?]

We gay people may be a relative minority, but we are a very significant (and growing) minority;we continue to help set the pace for change in societies and communities where, for far too long, socio-cultural-religious conventions have turned blind eyes and deaf ears.

CHALLENGING THE STATUS QUO

I am a cry in the night,
world cocking but half an ear
to heads like waves
on a feisty sea of pillows
in need of laundering
come morning if only to hide
tell-tale patches
of grief, guilt, loss of face
or worse ...

I am tears in the rain
no one able to tell I am crying,
no matter a part of me
is dying for want of showing
a kinder side than seen
by those who have no pity
for the likes of a cry
in the night or tears in the rain
soon forgotten

I am shadows in twilight,
made to witness darker deeds
than any God imagined
or else He (or She) would never
have laid life on me
but left me to pass like a dream
across time and space,
no cries or tears or fretting
about losing face

I am the voice of the human heart,
call me Mind-Body-Spirit

Copyright R N Taber 2012. 2019

[Note; An earlier version of this poem appears in Tracking the Torchbearer by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2012]







No comments: