Friday 8 June 2012

(Being) True to Life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Identity comprises many parts. We may consciously or subconsciously overlook even sexuality for all the others. (Wood and trees...)


In some parts of the world, gay people have no choice, in public at least.


Whatever, it is the whole that really counts. Or what have we been put on this earth for? Not to deceive ourselves, that’s for sure, even if circumstances beyond our control drive us to deceive others.


(BEING) TRUE TO LIFE


In the springtime of my years,

I felt something different about me
that set me a little apart
from other friends and my family
till April skies turned blue
where woods were alive and singing
songs of a love forever true,
even the pretty bluebells ringing
out loud and clear that day
for everyone to hear what I hadn’t
yet found the words to say...

Here I am, nor differently

but for a sexuality anxious to free
the ‘real’ me

In that springtime of my years,

I suffered such agonies of self-doubt
that it took a while before
I took that first step and came out
to friends and my family
and, true, they took time to get used
to the idea that I’m gay
but they were mostly okay about it
by the time I met a man
I thought I’d love forever and he, me
though it wasn’t meant to be

There I was, nor differently

but for a sexuality resolved to free
the ‘real’ me?

Come the cycle of advancing years,

I came to peace terms with life and love,
taking every day as it comes,
never quite daring to live my dreams
till autumn skies after rain
shone a rainbow on leaves of trees
in woods where I’d found out
just who I am and how life can be tough
for all its fragility,
a natural beauty ever shining through,
spring running true

There I was, nor differently

for whatever season of life might be
shaping me

Come the winter of my years,

having all but seen its seasons through,
travelled life's learning curve,
thought to find answers, sought to verify,
discovered even angels lie,
how needs must trust a still small voice
in the ear urging caution
rather than press on just to prove a point
beyond even absolution...
but though reason would often lose its way,
no regrets for being gay

Here I am, nor differently,
for life having all but done with me,
yet still free
  
Copyright R. N. Taber 2008; rev. 2018

No comments: