Monday 25 June 2012

All Patched Up and Ready

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Years ago, I was ‘queer bashed’ more than once. Fortunately, homophobic attacks are less common these days. However, when I posted my poem Ode To A Homophobe on this blog some time ago, several readers emailed me who genuinely believe homophobia is a thing of the past.  

Oh, but I wish!!!

Only a few years ago it was reported on TV that a gay man was stabbed to death and his partner injured in the London area during an unprovoked homophobic attack in their own home.

Since then there have been several high profile homophobic attacks here in the UK, usually on gay men, but I suspect many more go unreported and almost certainly include women especially among ethnic minority communities whose the culture of origin is intrinsically homophobic. Imagine, for example, how tough it must be for a gay Muslim, and I am assured by those I have met that there are plenty.

We must not be scared back into the closet by these thugs (or be afraid to come out of it either) but do our best to set an example and defy such ignorance and bigotry. Oh, and as far as I am concerned, they are no better than thugs, these holier-than-thou types who prefer to use gay people for a punch bag with socio-cultural-religious rhetoric rather than physical force. 

Meanwhile…be safe and - enjoy!

ALL PATCHED UP AND READY

A leg brushed mine
and the pulse of his sexuality
passed into me,
tore through my whole body
like an express train

A hand brushed mine
and the heat of his sexuality
passed into me,
embracing my whole body
like summer sunshine

A cheek brushed mine
and silk threads of sensuality
passed into me,
patching up my whole body
where holes were

A mouth brushed mine
and the joy of his sexuality
passed into me,
wishing my whole body
a safe passage

Naked flesh against mine,
the demands of our sexuality
passing into us,
joining our whole bodies
making us complete

Copyright R. N. Taber 2008

[From: On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010.]





No comments: