Thursday 28 June 2012

G-A-Y, Tales of the Unexpected

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

An early poem today, written in the 1980s while I was still recovering from a severe nervous breakdown. I dare say some readers will find it just as relevant now nearly 30 years on.

The poem has not appeared on the blog since 2010 and I hope new readers will enjoy.. 

Now, there are times when...if in doubt, GO for it!

G-A-Y, TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED

An unexpected kiss
sent me in a spin as I hadn’t
really thought much
about men having feelings
for other men like this

A knee jerk reaction
was to push you away as hard
as I could, feign horror,
reel off a string of nasty names
unworthy of repetition

Oh, days, nights, years
in a cold sweat, trying to forget
how my whole body
had thrilled so to an intimacy
wringing me to tears

I’d rather cross the street
than pass you, risk my confusion
spilling down my jeans,
giving myself away, wrestling
as I was with my guilt

Such exquisite passion
as I’d never dreamed existed even;
if sex with a woman
came close, it had but transcended
a vague dissatisfaction

We met again one day
at a in-service training session
about discrimination
against groups within society,
including gay

Later, as colleagues do,
we went to a bar and chatted
over a few drinks;
one by one, the others left - till
just me and you

I didn’t flinch as before
at that first, shy, unexpected kiss,
could see, too, in your eyes,
brimming with tender desire,
a way of life we’d share

Copyright R. N. Taber 1985; 2010

No comments: