Thursday 14 June 2012

Staying the Course, Ticking Boxes Custom Made

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I was drinking in a bar with a few gay friends once and a BIG guy called out, ‘Hey, shirt lifters. Do us all a favour and drop dead, yeah?’

Suffice to say we not only didn’t comply, but also stayed on for another round of beers even though we had intended to leave.

He strutted over to our table and jabbed a finger at me. ‘Hey, you,’ he shouted, ‘Are you deaf or something?’

I pointed to my hearing aids. ‘As a matter of fact, yes, I am. Do you have a problem with that?’

‘Not that, the other thing...,’ he sneered.

‘Sorry mate,’ I said in all seriousness, ‘I’ve only got two ears. Maybe you’re a bit drunk and seeing things, eh?  I can do you a third leg though...’

The whole pub exploded with laughter and the blushing homophobe retreated to rejoin his mates.

Some of you may have read a recent post that related an encounter I had once with a poetry lover who could not see why any ‘serious’ poet would want to write a villanelle - or any other poetic form - on a gay theme. Well, if being a ‘serious’ poet means being selective about what themes should be taken seriously, it is probably just as well I’m only a poet.

This poem is (oh, yes!) a villanelle.

STAYING THE COURSE

Gay folks won’t run away,
though some prefer we leave;
be sure, we’re here to stay

Let bigots have their say
(worn clichés up the sleeve);
gay folks won’t run away

Born, come what may,
to laugh, cheer, love, grieve,
be sure, we’re here to stay

Let pious pretenders pray
who refuse to live and let live;
gay folks won’t run away

Where cultures prey,
they only  themselves deceive;
be sure, we’re here to stay

Let history seize the day,
and its worst fake news believe;
gay folks won’t run away;
be sure, we’re here to stay

Copyright R.N. Taber 2010


[Note: an earlier version of this poems appears in On the Battlefields of Love by R. N Taber,Assembly Books, 2010]



No comments: