Thursday 19 April 2012

Icon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I can’t imagine why a homophobic cleric is reading the blog but someone called ‘Disgusted’ has been in touch about Tuesday’s poem. He says it is a sin to ‘glorify’ the human body and ‘outrageous’ to suggest any sense of spirituality can be derived from sex. He deplores my posting poems like Body Beautiful which only proves his point that the Internet is a ‘corrupt influence.’ Even so, he kindly adds that he enjoys many of my ‘more conventional' poems and recommends that I ‘get help' with my homosexuality.

How can I answer that but with another ‘corrupt’ (?!) poem...? He has every right to insist on his point of view, of course, but so do I...

How can anyone in their right mind insist a poem is a corrupt influence because it celebrates the human body?  A for sex, isn't  that is a celebration of the human body too?  Why shouldn't anyone - gay or straight -  find it an intensely spiritual as well as a delightfully physical experience?

ICON

An enigmatic air, rippling muscles,
head like a young god’s cast in bronze
full, sensual lips parted, not smiling,
but knowingly, as if aware of a breeze
in close-cropped curls whisking us 
to some fantasy isle, we its castaways,
partners in paradise, no one crowding us,
fat chance, rescue

Eyes as sharp as thorns on any rose,
while blushing skies lending him a hint 
of vulnerability, some pigeons nearby 
reciting poetry not meant for human ears;
two loud, tipsy youths try to muscle in
on our privacy, but reckoning without
divine intervention from a god on salary,
up for whatever

Mouth moves with the same alacrity
as hands and feet, divinity momentarily
suspended, as the youths demand entry;
harsh words and a strong arm soon sends
them packing, enigmatic air resumed,
classic Rodin immortalised on my phone
for quick reference whenever I find myself
in need of a pick-me-up

Copyright R. N. Taber 2004; 2019

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears in The Third Eye by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2004.]







No comments: