Wednesday 18 April 2012

Nothing Ever Quite The Same Again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Regular readers will know I have a passion for travelling by train...

NOTHING EVER QUITE THE SAME AGAIN

We sat opposite each other
on a fast train to heaven;
me, trying not to look too hard
in his direction;
he, struggling to resist a glance
too often in mine

I couldn’t focus on my book
for the flames in his hair
torching every page, setting this
heart of mine on fire
with desire, a growing hunger
to kiss a stranger

In mischievous sea-blue eyes
I stripped naked and swam
to a far, sandy shore, the colour
of his shirt, sprawled there
in the sun till he laid his body
down, next to mine

One hand caressed my cheek,
the other stroked my thigh
then he leaned and kissed me,
our arms entwining…
his skin like satin, sex hard,
bold, exciting

I missed my station, didn’t care;
as fate would have it
he did the same, till we came
to the end of the line
and he told me his name,
I told him mine

Homeward bound on another train,
nothing ever quite the same again …

[From Accomplices To Illusion by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2007]

No comments: