Wednesday 11 April 2012

Footnote to a Treatise on Volcanoes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I have to confess I am no computer gamer, but was disturbed to say the least when it was brought to my attention that Electronic Arts (EA), maker of the highly popular Star Wars: The Old Republic video game, is the target of a boycott orchestrated by hateful anti-gay groups.

It appears they gave players around the world the option of including a gay romance storyline in their interactive Star Wars game. [Now, would that be Luke and Yoda? Surely not...?] Seriously, though, anti-gay letters are apparently flooding Electronic Arts headquarters, threatening to push the company and its staff to the dark side.

So much for those readers who contact me saying I am living in the Dark Ages and ‘Gays have never had it so good.’ How good life is for us still depends very much on where we live and whether or not that is a gay-friendly environment.

Meanwhile...

Today’s poem last appeared on the blog in 2010. It has been requested by ‘Stefano’ for his partner ‘Cesare’ who has a birthday today.

Here’s wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Cesare.

Oh, but the eruption when pent up desires will stay quiet no longer...!

FOOTNOTE TO A TREATISE ON VOLCANOES

The first time I lay with another man,
it was with someone whom I had adored
for years but thought had ignored
my searching glances, double meanings,
sad eyes brimming with unshed tears;
instead, he chose to wait until I spoke out
as my heart intended once my tongue
found the words to say what I’d been told
I shouldn’t, mustn’t, because people
would think the worst if I told the world
I’m gay

He understood and shared my fears
yet kissed my eyelids, moistened by tears,
murmured reassurance as well as love
in my ears, gently wiping away all the fear
those who had thought to know better,
(following a dark history to the letter) had
glued to my lips, now freed by a tongue
that had found the words to say though told
he shouldn’t, mustn’t, because people
would think the worst if he told the world
he’s gay

He taught me the art of lovemaking
as learned at Nature’s breast and practised
in lesser known playing fields of time,
discovering the skills to which we were born,
how to let self-knowledge inspire us
instead to giving way to temporal prejudices,
imbibe the spirituality of life and love
in words we, oh, so long to say though told
we shouldn’t mustn’t, because people
would think the worst if we told the world
we’re gay

At a climax of mutual desire, I stood
on the edge of a volcano, in awe of its fire
yet relating to it also, its eruption
thrusting me through time and space where
I could look down and see…
Nature protesting at the antics of humanity
writing its own epitaph, gluing it to lips
that long to have a greater say in things though
told they shouldn’t, mustn’t, that people
would think the worst, get scared, try to run
away

[From: On The Battlefields Of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010]

No comments: