Wednesday 4 April 2012

No Apology For Sexuality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Yes, another love poem. Oh, and why not?

Now, someone asked me why Apollo often features in my poems. It has to do with conveying the idea that what the poem has to say is nothing new but goes back centuries.  

Let’s not forget either that, according to various myths and legends, Apollo was bisexual. How can any gay writer who has an affinity with history and nature avoid making reference to such metaphors of old?

No one in the LGBT community should ever feel that he or she needs to apologise to anyone for their sexuality, whatever his or her socio-cultural-religious persuasion.

This poem is a villanelle.

NO APOLOGY FOR SEXUALITY

Once, Apollo came to me
in a godly light,
kissing me passionately

We made love feverishly,
and it felt right
once Apollo came to me

It was a divine intimacy
as he held me tight,
kissing me passionately

At dusk, a tearful apology
for taking flight;
Once, Apollo came to me...

No need for any apology
from you at night,
kissing me passionately

Grown old, love as feisty
as its first sunlight...
Once, Apollo came to me,
kissing me passionately

Copyright R. N. Taber 2009; 2012

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears in On The Battlefields Of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010. According to Greek mythology, Apollo was known to have both male and female lovers.]

.]

No comments: