Saturday 14 April 2012

Letter To A Mormon Missionary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

This is an autobiographical poem that last appeared o the blog in 2010. I was bored one afternoon and admitted two Mormons to my flat. One did his best to 'convert' me from my agnosticism and dissuade me from my sexual persuasion while the other said little. That evening the latter returned alone. How he gave his minder the slip, I have no idea (maybe he, too, was experiencing a crisis of the self?) but he had, and confessed to being attracted to other men although he had never surrendered to these feelings ... until now, and badly needed to relieve the weight of guilt oppressing him ...

The main reason I subscribe to no religion is that any religion needs must embrace all, not be selective about whom it takes to its heart, and any followers need to bear in mind that no religion has a monopoly on spirituality.

Whenever I read this poem, I have to watch a wonderful gay DVD called Latter Days about a young Mormon Elder who finds he cannot fight his born sexuality and falls in love with another guy; both funny and moving, I heartily recommend it as must-see viewing.

LETTER TO A MORMON MISSIONARY

One night we knocked at heaven’s door until
someone let us in

You said you’d have loved me, a shame
it was wrong

But there nothing was wrong that spring night
you stayed over

We loved each other (yes, we did) if only
for a while

I still think about you, wondering did you ever
come good?

Couldn’t bear it if you ever forgot that night
in my bed

There’s a gene that whispers ‘gay’ as we’re born,
it’s no sin

We can listen or pay lip service to what’s called
‘convention’

Didn’t hear from you again, wondering now, years
on…

Did you think about me, break free (finally) learn
how to live?

Or do you still let them fight and win your battles
bar one?


Copyright R. N. Taber 2010

No comments: