Thursday 5 April 2012

Cocoon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I wrote today’s poem in 1973 when I was still in my 20s. (I am 66 now.) 

The poem last appeared on the blog in 2010 and I am posting it here today especially for ‘Roseanne and Sam’as well as  Paul and Rhys’ who have been kind enough to let me know they are enjoying the collection and ‘love this poem’.

I confess that encouragement and feedback are always welcome, however you might feel about what or how I write. E-mail only, though, please - to rogertab@aol.com  - if you would like a reply as I don't post comments; nor do I use social networks except to link to the blogs.

Oh, but when I read early poems and recall how things once were, I don’t feel in the least bit sad, just glad for having enjoyed moments worth writing poems about people and places I have good reason to remember, not least for having loved; other moments in time, too, when passing glances os a chance  conversation with a complete stranger strike a chord that marks the beginning of a poem yet to be written.

 COCOON

Out of a golden twilight,
you stepped into my dreams,
took me in your arms

You hugged and kissed me,
gave my loneliness new heart
from the very start

In that gentle, golden mist,
you led me into a lovemaking
that was breathtaking

Later, you held me close,
wrapped yourself around me;
cocoon of spirituality

In the folds of a pink sunset,
we gay lovers left our dreams
to Earth Mother’s charms

Come dawn’s first light,
odds against us cruelly stacked,
cocoon (for now) intact

Copyright R. N. Taber 1973; 2010

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears in Tracking the Torchbearer by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books 2012]








No comments: