Wednesday 4 March 2020

Free Agents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

In many countries LGBT people have won over our critics, but not everywhere and by no means everyone. Sadly, homophobia remains alive and kicking in all corners of all societies worldwide even where there is pro-LGBT legislation. I know/have met and/or worked with many genuinely gay-friendly straight people, but for every one of those, I know/have met and/or worked with a good many more die-hard homophobic people frequently playing lip service to political correctness while harbouring contrary opinions. I despise the latter for a bunch of hypocrites, often the product of a gay-unfriendly upbringing although many may yet (I have discovered) be open to constructive dialogue given the opportunity.

Most gay-friendly straight people are confident enough in their own sexuality not to have a problem with anyone else's. This, of course, begs the question, where exactly is homophobia coming from ...?

Some people, of course, will never get that love is a free agent with a mind of its own.

FREE AGENTS

As we walked down
my street together, you held my hand;
people flung us dirty looks
because they don’t understand
about falling in love

Outside our front door,
you gave me a big hug and kissed me;
passers-by passed rude remarks
because they really haven’t a clue
how it is to be gay

As I fumbled for my key,
you shouted to the street how you felt
about me, and neighbours
turned noses and fingers up at us
(it’s what they do best)

As I closed the door after us,
children playing hopscotch in the street
waved a cheery ‘hello’
as if warning us to take no notice
of their so-called‘betters’

Once inside, we ran upstairs
laughingly, carefree, still hand in hand,
shutting out a world
that doesn’t want to understand
gay men falling in love

Copyright R. N. Taber 2012

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the title 'Gay Men Don't Do Stuffy' in Tracking the Torchbearer by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2012]

No comments: