Wednesday 11 March 2020

Love.My Comfort Still

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

It is a well-worn adage and some would say a corny one. Yet, it is so true. Love lasts forever. Whether it is for a partner, family member or close friend…where tragedy strikes, our love for them and theirs for us will mount a rescue operation in due course and replace the burden of grief with the lighter, even humorous touch of happy memories

Now, I refer to Earth Mother the poem and regular readers may well wonder why as I am not a religious person. Yet, religion does not have a monopoly on spirituality and God is many things to many people. (I'm an agnostic, not an atheist, while verging on pantheism.) Nor is there any reason that I can see why God should not be female.

I rejected religion for nature even as a child. Yet, who is to say that Nature and God are not the same? I respect religious beliefs even if I do not share them. As I was give to understand as a child, religion is meant to be about peace and love, yet a good many religions prefer to take their cue from hierarchical (mostly stereotypical) interpretations of what it means to be of an LGBT persuasion; they can neither respect the fact we are not only capable of love but of a more spiritual than religious nature.

As I have said elsewhere on the blogs, religion does not have a monopoly on spirituality; the mind-body-spirit common to us all, must find its own way.

Okay, so I am a romantic. But, yes, in my experience, love is one of the few truly blessed aspects of life upon which we can rely to stay with us always…provided we don’t shut it out, for whatever reason.

LOVE, MY COMFORT SILL

Whenever tears falling like winter rain
for thinking of our hurt and suffering,
I think of springtime, find you once again
beside me - hopeful, happy, laughing

As my heart cries out in darkest despair,
in pain for the tragedy of our plight,
I think of summertime and see you there,
jumping for joy in the sun’s gentle light

We can but trust in Earth Mother's care
wherever bigotry found doing its best
to break us simply for being who we are,
gay lovers asking but to be left in peace

Beyond any Here-and-Now, love never dies
though its lovers parted by secrets and lies

Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; 2013

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the title 'Memories, Prayers, Flowers' in A Feeling for the Quickness of Time by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2005.]

No comments: