Sunday 15 March 2020

Reality Bites


Gay or straight, dating is a wonderful thing - online or otherwise - especially if we don't expect too much too soon. 

Someone advised me against online dating once because I was sure to meet lots of boring people. Well, no one can be that boring if they are up for improving their social (and sex) life. Besides, all we on-line hopefuls are  in the same  boat, so what right have any of us to sneer? In my experience, a social evening is only ever doomed from the start if either or both parties approach it with a preconceived ideas of how they want it to turn out. 

In latter years - as I grow old(er) - I have been tempted sometimes to go on-line if only for some sex-related digital playtime.

Now, not everyone is turned on by sex alone. I, for one, was never interested in sex just for its own sake; there has to be at least some chemistry, a connection of sorts.  (So I'm living in cloud cuckoo land?) Whatever, I have made a few friends this way, but it hasn't happened very often; it has usually been a case of into bed and out the door.

Oh, well, nothing ventured, nothing gained, we just need to be careful out there, and trust our instincts. whatever our socio-cultural-religious background. 

Religion, by the way, doesn't have a monopoly on spirituality; the human spirit  has plenty to say about the spiritual nature of close human relationships even where they may be but temporary, as in matters sexual, for example.

REALITY BITES

We chatted on-line
one miserable day (raining hard)
finally agreed to meet,
hoping to make a real connection
the way some people do
who seem to have a lot in common,
fuelling expectation

We met up in a bar,
and everything was going well;
he came back to mine…
where things went downhill fast,
the way high hopes can do,
on slippery slopes of expectation
belying anticipation

Sexually, we were no match
although we got along very well,
and I liked him a lot
for his feisty, sunny personality,
the way some people are
in whom we have a lot in common,
if not shades of sexuality

I asked to see him again
since we were getting along so well
and he seemed to agree,
feeling much the same way as me,
but I was fooling myself,
his only commitment, to anonymity
regarding sexual identity

Now, when  I chat on-line
on miserable days (getting hard)
and someone agrees to meet,
hoping to make a real connection,
the way some people do
who seem to have a lot in common,
I keep a sense of proportion

Copyright R. N. Taber 2015




No comments: