Sunday 29 March 2020

Lost and Found

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

‘The only sure way ahead is straight.’ they said, ‘No detours, no turning corners, just be straight…or suffer the consequences.’

Ah, but I made a detour, turned a corner many years ago, and have no regrets. No regrets about acknowledging my sexuality, that is, after years of teenage angst.  [Show me someone who says they have no regrets and I will show you someone who is being a shade economical with the truth...]

This poem is a villanelle.

LOST AND FOUND

Told a mad world I'm gay,
rose above native fear;
lost, now found my way

Weary of running away,
voice loud and clear,
told a mad world I’m gay

Finally, at home to stay,
seeing my way clear;
lost, now found my way

Even bland faces of clay
seen cocking an ear;
told a mad world I’m gay

No matter what some say,
it’s good to be here;
lost, now found my way

Neighbours had a field day,
(Hey, was that a cheer?)
Told a mad world I'm gay;
lost, now found my way

Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; 2016

[An earlier version of this poem appears under the title 'Turning Corners' in A Feeling for the Quickness of Time by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2005.]

No comments: