Saturday 21 March 2020

Heart to Heart


People often tell me I should concentrate on my general poetry and ‘forget the gay stuff.’ But the ‘gay stuff’ is as much a part of me as the rest so I will press on. If some readers and critics don’t like it…well, they don’t have to read it. Besides, I can’t win; the same critics tell me that my poetry is too conventional, that rhyme and ‘form’ poetry is old hat and I’m an anachronism etc.

Let them rant. As long as people continue to read the blog and continue to email me from time to time to say they have enjoyed a poem, I'll press on. 

Now, this may not be one of my better poems but sometime after it first appeared on the blog in 2008, I received a lovely email from someone who had read it aloud to his family in the course of telling them he is gay. He didn’t say what he or they thought of the poem but it doesn’t matter; what matters is that ‘afterwards…it was hugs all round.’ It appears they are a religious family, too, plainly inspired by a spirituality that lends itself to love no less than to religion. Oh, but how wonderfully reassuring!

I should add that for every LGBT person who has emailed to say they feel rejected by family members and /or friends, others have said they have been reconciled, even if it has taken awhile for those same family members  and/ or friends to understand that our sexuality makes not a scrap of difference in the sense that we are the same person whom they have come to love, regardless. 


HEART TO HEART

I told family and friends
how, come what may,
I’ll tread a straighter path
for being gay

I remain the same person,
sharing with you still,
a universal understanding;
love conquers all

If love imposes conditions,
what does that imply,
other than the human heart
has told its spirit a lie?

Let those without a dream
to call their own
rally all life’s lonely losers
to cast the first stone


Copyright R. N. Taber 2004; 2020









No comments: